Friday 26 March 2010

O Dear

I'm not sure I should be allowed a blog. It's been months, hasn't it? Fluency, whether in poems, novels, blogs, emails, seems to be a discrete with me. Either I am or I ain't. I haven't been. I am being, a bit more, now. 60,000 words and some months of grimly putting one word set in 1930s Canada after another, I suddenly have the feeling that things are beginning to get easier; something is about to happen, this character or that is becoming someone...

Maybe it's just that I'm reading two very impressive books: Mantel's Wolf Hall, and Janice Galloway's Clara...and that always makes me feel creatively hopeful. As for my own effort, I daren't read it back. It is still too stumbling. Not yet, not yet...

2 comments:

Dan Wyke said...

Hello Jen - good to hear from you. Since your last blog I've started one of my own and was excited to find your page. Don't think there should be hard or fast rules about blogging - the silence in some cases might be more interesting, and it sounds like you have been busy at least on something else. Hope to hear more about that some time. If you're interested my blog's at http://otherlivespoetry.blogspot.com/ Best wishes, Dan Wyke

Alasdair Wallace said...

Hi Jen - glad to hear you're out of hibernation. I tried emailing you but addresses were rejected. Have you been holed up in novel bunker? I've got a wee show at the Open Eye. On till 13th of April if you happen to be around.
http://www.openeyegallery.co.uk/Open+Eye/Alasdair+Wallace/
Hope you are doing well anyway. Cheers, Ali